Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Can I get an Amen?!

Vivian blew me away last night. Without warning, she recited the "Now I lay me down to sleep" prayer all by herself . . . three times.

It all began with our typical bed-time ritual of tooth-brushing and then a family story in Audrey's room. Audrey is now reading (last night's topic was "Gardens Grow") so she was in charge of the story. However, Vivian and I were a little distracting for poor Audrey . . . who can lose her concentration with a spec of dust . . . so Viv passed out her goodnight kisses and Daddy and Audrey had to learn more about seeds and soil without us.

After one reading of "It's Pajama Time" Vivian was ready to hit the pillow. I tucked her in with her obligatory sippy cup full of water and kissed her goodnight. I started to head toward the door when I realized we didn't say our prayers. I tiptoed back and started in with "Now I lay me . . ." to which Vivian promptly said "I do it. I do it."

Okay. This ought to be interesting.

To my utter surprise . . . she recited the entire thing effortlessly! I couldn't believe it. It's not like I've been drilling this or anything. She said "again!" and did it again . . . and again. I'm sure she could have kept on going due to the fact that I was squeezing and kissing her after each oration.

It was so cute. I couldn't stand myself!!

No comments: