Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy birthday, Dad!

Today is May 11th. Today would have been my Dad's 80th birthday. Today, I would have called him and sung Happy Birthday over the phone or something silly. But I couldn't. Well, I could have, but then someone might have threatened to have me join Mom in the assisted living facility.

It's a good thing I was busy/distracted at work today so I didn't have to think about it too much. Although, every time I wrote (yes, I still write with a pen occasionally) or typed the date, it was a stark reminder.


In typical Dad fashion, he had been planning his own 80th birthday party for many months -- at least six or eight months ago. And it was supposed to be a surprise party. That was always very confusing for us since he was telling everyone about his "party on May 8th at Meyer's Tavern". "How is this a surprise party?" we would ask. "Don't worry. I'll act surprised," he would reply.

We always knew we would have this party. What we didn't know was that he wasn't going to actually BE there to enjoy it. I guess the surprise was on us.

So, after his accident and spending several days watching vigil over Dad in the ICU, I remember saying, "Don't worry, Dad. We'll still have your party." Heather and Linda quickly joined in and agreed and we all laughed. It was the kind of laughter that was way out of proportion for the situation. You know, when you just need something to smile about because nothing seems all that great in your life at the time. . . . and you're just sick of crying. Less than an hour later, my Dad's very strong heart beat for the last time.

We later joked that Dad must have been waiting around to make sure that we were still going to have his party . . . he was free to go after he was assured that his plans would not be altered.

We had that party on Saturday, May 8th. It was not earth shattering. It was simple gathering and just what he would have wanted. I sang more karaoke that night than I have in the past 5 years -- because that's what Dad would have wanted.

And thanks to Heather, I only cried once during the party. She wrote a beautiful poem about her Grandpa. (oh yeah, need to get a copy of that!)

The evening was a celebration of a wonderful man's life. A man who lived every moment to the fullest . . . even when we all thought he should settle down a bit. I guess he knew better. I need to embrace that attidue a bit more in my life.

Love you Dad!!! Thanks for watching out for Mom. She's enjoying her visits with you.

No comments: