Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mom's Christmas Cookies #2 - 7-Layer Bars


I was inspired to make these bars -- also not because they were my favorite -- but because they were my brother-in-law Rick's favorite. We talked about making mom's recipes during our Thanksgiving gathering and his eyes lit up when he remembered Mom's 7-layer bars. I quietly vowed to myself that I would make them this year.

And that was BEFORE he landed in the hospital fighting for his life. Rick caught a very severe case of strep pneumonia and was very sick, in ICU and on a ventilator for over a week. After being moved out of ICU, he stayed for another five days before he was able to return home. He remains on oxygen at home and is still working his way back to health. It was surreal seeing Rick hooked up to the ventilator just a year from seeing my own Dad on that very same machine. I'm not sure what kind of sign God is trying to send to us. I suppose it's about feeling blessed and to appreciate the people who remain with us and thankful for the time that we had with those we've lost. That's what I'm going with anyway.

Oh, by the way, we've canceled Christmas.

Well, we've only postponed it a little bit. The Kinninger Christmas will be celebrated sometime in January. That's cool. That will give me more time to make all of mom's cookies!

And, in honor of Rick and my mom, here's the 7 layer bar recipe!

  • 1 cup butter
  • 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 pkg semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 pkg butterscotch chips
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (I used hazel nuts!)
  • 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/3 cups shredded coconut

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
  2. Melt butter and mix with graham cracker crumbs in a bowl. Spread into 13 x 9 inch pan and and press firmly to make a "crust."
  3. Pour condensed milk over crumb mixture, then layer coconut, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and nuts. Press firmly with a fork
  4. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let cool.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anthony is very happy now.