Thursday, November 5, 2009

Halloween Chili (aka Crock Pot Chili)


As long as I've lived in my house in Ypsilanti, Halloween has been a celebration. Right after I bought the house (over 17 years ago. gulp.) I immediately hosted a Halloween party. Perhaps it has something to do with the close proximity to my birthday . . . it becomes an early birthday party of sorts.

Before we had kids, a ton of our friends would come over and "help" us pass out candy to the treaters because . . . well, our neighborhood is just that cool at Halloween.

Of course now all of our collective kids are in full-blown Halloween mode these days so our house has become the meeting point for a bunch of them. This year we had the GREAT pleasure of having Halloween on a Saturday. And even though I had time to cook (although not really thanks to Saturday dance classes and such) I decided I would take it easy and make a crock-pot style chili. I found this recipe and it turned out so fabulous that I wanted to post it here for posterity's sake.

I doubled the recipe below and although it barely fit in my enormous crock pot, it was the PERFECT amount for our crowd. There was only a small amount remaining for leftovers. Sniff.

Crock Pot Chili

Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground chuck
1 cup chopped onion
1 green pepper, chopped
2 to 3 ribs celery, chopped
1 large (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 cans kidney or pinto beans, drained
1 tsp. pepper
3 tsp. chili powder
hot pepper, to taste, cayenne
1 tsp. garlic salt


Preparation:
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain well. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker; cover and cook for 7 to 8 hours on LOW, or until done.

[About half-way through the day, Curt turned up the heat by throwing in some extra cayenne and spices. It worked. I hope he remembers what he did for next year.]

No comments: