Friday, May 16, 2008

Be nice to George

Those were the last words I uttered to Audrey as I kissed her goodbye for school this morning.

Perhaps I shouldn't be too concerned . . . yet . . . but I learned a lot about Audrey when I went along on the school field trip yesterday.

Let me start by mentioning that Audrey has been surrounded by boys in her life. Her best friend is a boy (they were diaper buddies together and now he's her "boyfriend"). Her kindergarten class consists of 4 girls and 11 boys. She's even the only girl in her swim class at the Y. (Thank GOODness for ballet and some of our friends who actually created some girls!!)

You get the point. She's very comfortable around boys. And boy do they love her.

I found out recently that there's a little bit of rivalry at school for Audrey's attention. Jason, our wonderful after-school-care provider warned me with a smile, "you're gonna' have to watch out for her, the boys love her." Then I witnessed these little paramours scrambling to win her favor over some Lego structure thingy they built. "Audrey, do you like mine better??? Do you??? DO YOU??" She calmly (in a take-charge kind of way) picked Marisio's over George's -- MUCH to George's dismay.

Then yesterday, Mrs. Magos told me that all of the boys make huge efforts to sit by Audrey whenever there's an occasion. Oh man. It appears that George might be pouring it on a little too strongly. Poor guy. I think Audrey needs to throw him a bone every once in awhile but she seems to be having too much fun teasing him. ACK! She's only 5-1/2!! I didn't expect this so soon.

When we returned from the field trip and headed into the classroom, the kids were instructed to stack their chairs and get ready to be dismissed. Here's the discussion I overheard:


Audrey: "George, where did you put your chair" (flirty, flirty, bats her eyes)

George: "My chair's right here! Audrey, put your chair on top of mine! Right here! Right here! Audrey, put your chair here! Audrey!"

[Without saying a word, Audrey puts her chair at the top of the TALL stack -- not on George's chair.]

George: hrmph, grr . . stomp, stomp. "I'm never going to talk to Audrey again." [yeah - right.]


For the record, I made her apologize for teasing him like that. I don't think she even knows what teasing is but she has already mastered the art. Both kids were very confused about the apology. Maybe I should just stay out of it.

My husband laughed his ass off about the whole story and of course blamed womankind for all being alike.

His last words to me this morning were: "Be nice to Curt." Ha.

(love ya', honey)

2 comments:

Judy said...

Audrey is teaching George an early life lesson in rejection. Learn, George, learn well. Audrey is also enjoying girl power. Enjoy Audrey, enjoy.

Kathy W said...

Oh . . . there's no doubt that Audrey is enjoying herself!