Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The parts are coming in

When my husband tackles a house project, he does it full bore. Not content to do just enough to appease me (or anyone else for that matter), he goes above and beyond. He rises to his own standards - which appear to be pretty high. Higher than mine, anyway. Come to think of it, he's like that with most projects that he puts his mind to. He definitely washes dishes better than I do. He uses so much more soap. And he folds laundry better than anyone I've ever seen. I just don't have the patience for all of that precision. Now, if I can just get him to pick up his dirty clothes off the floor or put his shoes away.

Anyway, back to his projects . . . I'll never forget how meticulously he placed the ceramic tiles on the floor of our back foyer. He used those little spacers and everything. The lines in that floor are perfect! You would swear that we hired a professional to do that floor . . . and yet, this is the first time Curt ever tackled ceramic tiles. [I won't talk about that little incident with the grout and the muriatic acid, honey.]

And when he mows the lawn, he doesn't just mow the lawn. He mows, trims, weed wacks and edges the lawn. Yes, he edges.

But because he takes such great care with his projects, sometimes it takes all of his energy to gear up for doing them. He's his own worst enemy.

So, it should come as no surprise that when he finally decided, "yes, our children would love a swing set in our backyard," that he chooses to build the biggest, bad-ass play structure the neighborhood has ever seen.

I started my search for a simple swing set a few years ago when we just had Audrey. I looked at garage sales and Craig's list and even found a relatively inexpensive aluminum set at ToysRUs that I was perfectly happy with. For some reason, Curt was resistant to "mussing up" the yard with a swing set.

But this new creation of his sounds like it's going to take over the yard as far as I'm concerned. But I'm totally geeked about it! The slide alone is a Pièce de résistance measuring in at 7 ft! This Turbo Tube can hold up to 250 pounds!

The parts have been ordered so I know he means business. And they're starting to arrive at the house. Oh joy!!

I can already envision a few of our intoxicated (adult) friends sitting up 7 ft high on the platform at our parties this summer.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Oh my yes, this perfection with duty is very familiar. Good enuf, just isn't. Annoying, isn't it? On the other hand, the word shoddy will rarely occur in the same sentence with Curt's name.