Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What's in a name?


So . . . I'm shopping at Trader Joe's last night with both of my girls. They fight over who gets to push the kid-sized shopping cart but that's not why I'm writing (Vivian won, in case you're interested).

We sail through our trip with relative ease. I'm pleased as punch because the girls are on their best grocery-shopping behavior -- not at all their usual mode. I guess that swing through McDonald's first was a really good idea!

We finish our shopping and a very nice young guy steps out of the register line, asks us if we're ready and motions us to come on over. Audrey mumbles something about the balloons and he jokingly says they're all out of balloons (balloons are everywhere at the check-out).

I say something to Vivian along the lines of "Vivian, bring the cart over here" and Rob (who's nametag actually says "Skip" but he later tells me his real name is Rob) asks, "Her name is Vivian?" At first I thought he found the name unusual but it turns out that he has a 5 year old daughter named Vivian. Hey, that's cool, we think.

We chit-chat and small talk some more.

Rob/Skip then says, "You don't have a sister named Audrey, do you?"

I look at him very strangely at this point. Then I look at Audrey. How the hell did he know Audrey's name?

He notices my odd look and throws a similar look back at me.

We finally discover that we both have two little girls named Audrey and Vivian. We are laughing our asses off at this point. His Audrey version is just 15 months old.

Then we start shooting questions at each other. "What are their middle names?" "How did you pick these names?" "How old are they again?"

"I can't wait until my break so I can call my wife," Rob tells me. (I immediately called Curt as well.)

The really funny thing is, we both thought we were so smooth by picking out names that no one else would ever choose.

Yeah, we're so original.






1 comment:

Judy said...

love this story
how fun wast that?
he may have an Audrey and a Vivian but they can't possibly be as special, as brilliant and as beautiful as THIS Audrey and Vivian.