Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The national dish of Switzerland

It's January. It's cold. The snow is falling.

Those conditions often make me yearn for a good fondue.

I first tasted this concoction in 1988. It was January and I was living in Biel, Switzerland at the time. (Officially renamed Biel/Bienne in 2005, I just discovered, because of it's bilingual nature. Cool.)

There were many hole-in-the-wall fondue restaurants in Biel and we found our favorites. I don't recall their names but I will never forget the taste of the Kirsch-laden cheesy pot and crusty, rustic bread. I was in love.

When I returned to the states, I found a fondue pot much like the ones used in the restaurants in Switzerland. I'm still making fondue out of that same pot. More love.

The picture I scanned is the front page of a brochure that includes the recipe I follow religiously. This brochure traveled home with me from Switzerland and I've held onto it ever since. I'm a purist when it comes to fondue. Although instead of just bread chunks, I do add some blanched vegetables now for variety and a little balance.

The following recipe serves 4 people as a main course -- basically about a quarter pound of cheese per person. Adjust the amounts depending on how many people you're serving.

Classic Fondue

1 clove garlic (plus more)
1-1/2 cups dry white Swiss wine
1/2 lb Emmentaler cheese
1/2 lb Gruyere
Kirsch
cornstarch

Rub inside of pot with cut garlic clove. Place pot on stove. Pour wine into pot. Heat over medium flame until wine is hot but not boiling. Add handfuls of cheese (cut up in chunks or shredded), stirring constantly with wooden spoon until cheese is melted and the cheese-wine mixture has the appearance of a light creamy sauce. In a separate bowl, stir in 3 tablespoons of Kirsch mixed with 1 tablespoon corn starch. Pour that mixture into the fondue and allow to boil for approximately 15 seconds.

Remove the pot and place on a lighted burner on top of the table.

I also throw in some garlic cloves while the cheese is half-way melted. And the meal isn't complete without cornichons!

In Switzerland, many people like to have a shot of Kirsch at each place-setting so you can dip your bread into the Kirsch before dipping into the cheese. THAT makes for a crazy night!

For some great pictures, check out this blog.

The BEST part is that crust of cheese that forms at the bottom of the pot. YUM!

A Kissing Custom
If when dunking her bread into the Fondue, a lady loses her grip and lets the bread slide off the fork into the pot, she must turn to the man on her right and give him a kiss. She loses, he wins! If a man loses his bread when Fondue-ing in a restaurant, it's up to him to buy the next round of drinks. At home, he consoles himself by kissing his hostess!

No comments: