Monday, August 11, 2008

As the Stomach Turns


I always know when life is moving at lightning speed or I'm caught up in too many things because I have NO talent for moderation and just "cain't say no" . . . I feel it in the pit of my stomach. Not the faint little "butterflies" that people claim to feel when they're happily nervous about something. No . . . I'm talking about doubling over, I wanna' die, pain in my stomach.

I inherited all of my stomach issues from my father (gee thanks, Dad.) All three of my siblings have it as well. My sister eats Pepcid like popcorn. I try to go a more natural route like watching my diet but I'm not always very good at doing that and it doesn't really work anyway. Sometimes Audrey will claim that "her stomach hurts." Oh man. Audrey . . . I'm really sorry about your luck.

Anyway, here it is Monday afternoon and I can feel the stress coming on me this week. Audrey is involved in a very fun production of "Midsummer Night's Dream" at her summer camp. This is tech week. And for some reason, I'm as stressed about this tech week as if I were the lead in the show or something. Perhaps it's because so many things are out of my control. Or perhaps it's because I volunteered to do a bunch of stuff for it and now I'm overwhelmed by it all. Damn. Caught me.

Tonight is their first dress rehearsal and parents are supposed to stay away . . . far, far away. That's actually a relief. No responsibilities for me tonight. Whew.

Tomorrow night we get to to watch the final dress, Wednesday night is the benefit night and Curt and I are tagged to do a TON of stuff for it (yeah . . . I get Curt involved, too) and then, hopefully, it's smooth sailing into show weekend. A girl can dream, can't she?

I'm sure my stomach will feel better when I'm sitting in the audience for her final performance on Sunday afternoon and reveling in the talents of these young kids.

That is, until the next shiny thing comes along that I haven't said no to . . .

1 comment:

Judy said...

Ooooo. The inherited belly ache. Tis true, tis true. We inherit, the good, the bad and the ugly. Keep your pepcid handy and learn to say "no".