Monday, August 18, 2008

Many Stars are Born

Posted by Picasa
We just wrapped up a very busy week/weekend of parties and shows and more parties at Children's Creative Center. I'm tired just thinking about it all.

The kids (ranging in age 5 to 14), performed a production of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. However, this wasn't your typical Shakespeare. This version included musical numbers such as "Season of Love," "Hit the Road Jack," "Stop in the Name of Love," and "Why do Fools Fall in Love." Audrey's favorite song seemed to be "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" -- which also just happens to be my college sorority's theme song. Go figure.

Audrey played one of Queen Titania's fairies. She enjoyed every minute of it. During the benefit night after the opening performance, the summer camp director called me over because a patron wanted to know who the little toothless girl was. "She was SO good!" was the patron's remark to me. Awwwwwwww . . . .

Somehow, the director managed to whittle down the entire play into ONE hour -- including the songs! It was quite a feat. And I cried every time I watched the show. Perhaps I was emotional about other things . . . but it really got to me each time.

I must admit that when I first heard this was the chosen show for the summer camp production, I was a little disappointed. I was just SURE that it was going to be a huge disappointment and completely boring. I'm happy to report that it was nothing like that. This show was magical -- just like the story itself. I can't wait to see the video! I'll be sure to post some highlights here!

I'm so proud of all of the kids!
[The parents had a pretty good time as well I must say!]

1 comment:

Judy said...

We were privileged to sit in the front row for this, could almost reach out and touch the performers. Audrey absolutely nailed it. Those genes run deep. Was rather amused as I noted the diaphanous Shakespearean fairy costume with yards of white tulle and fairy beads. Our little fairy, in addition to all of the folds and gathers of pristine white and perfection was a bit of six year old leg sporting a six year old kid band-aid. Perfect.