Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Tribute to my Mom (however small)

My mom always made something called "Strawberry Nut Salad" during the holidays - most notably at Thanksgiving. Our family only ate it once or twice a year but it was such a tradition that we always looked forward to it.

Mom is no longer able to do any cooking on her own so it was time for me to carry on her tradition. My sister is already loaded with the turkey and major stuff so this is the least I can do. I actually forgot to make it last Thanksgiving and we really missed not having it there. Silly. It's nothing extravagant . . . as a matter of fact, it's incredibly easy to make. But it's just SO Thanksgiving to me!

Strawberry Nut Salad

1 lg. box strawberry Jell-O dissolved in one cup of bowling water.

Fold in:
- 16 oz frozen (thawed) strawberries - juice and all
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 lg can crushed pineapple (drained)

Spread 1/2 of Jell-O mixture in 13 x 9 inch pan. Chill to set.
Spread 16 oz. sour cream on top.
Spoon on rest of Jell-O mixture.

Serve chilled.

No comments: