Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My little ham


We attended Audrey's 1st grade holiday concert last night. It was adorable.

I picked her up from after-care a little earlier than usual since I had to feed the family, clean up, get dressed up for the concert AND be back at the school before 6:40. These events are just not kind to working moms. Sigh.

I was extremely encouraged when she showed me the exact spot on the risers where she would be standing. Front and center! Whoo hoo! my pipsqueak will be easily spotted, I thought. She would also be playing the bells in the front row on stage right. [She told me she couldn't sing the song because it was a Hanukkah song . . . that's why she was playing the bells.] Okay, now I know EXACTLY where I'm going to sit when I get to school at 6:30. I knew I needed to get there early to get that seat.

Oiy.

If only it were that easy.

Long story short (and without blaming anyone, cough, Curt), we barely made it by the obligatory 6:40 and even then it was just Audrey and I. The rest of the family showed up minutes before the concert began. I didn't get my primo seat choice but I got in the 4th row so it wasn't a total loss. [The place was PACKED!]

Audrey was in the front row of the risers but somehow she managed to get behind a girl who was standing on the floor in front of her and wearing a big reindeer-antler-hat. WTF? Really? This girl was the only kid wearing a tall hat (they were all wearing elfin-type hats but I'm just sayin.)

Audrey didn't seem to care, though. She sang and danced her heart out in spite of the obstructed view we had. Curt and I kept switching seats so that he could get the best angle with the video camera. I think we were working as hard as Audrey was. Well, perhaps not. She was a total ham in between songs. Taking bows and making faces and doing that big-mouth-talking-thing that people do when they're trying to talk to you without actually being able to talk to you. She kept mouthing words to us. Things like "T E L L V I V I A N T O L O O K A T M E" or whatever.


I have to hand it to the music teacher at Estabrook. She put on a fantastic show with all of the 1st grade classes. I was very entertained and impressed with all of the kids.

Now if I can just teach Audrey to work her way downstage like a real diva we'll be all set.

No comments: