Friday, September 5, 2008

On the first day . . .

Yesterday was the first day of school for Audrey. Her first day of first grade!

Why do Mom's get more emotional than kids about these things? Sure . . . I walked down the halls of Audrey's newly renovated school (which was not quite ready for occupancy but the calendar waits for no one) and saw tears in more than just a few kids' eyes. I even witnessed what must have been a 3rd grade girl absolutely refusing to go into her classroom. She was out in the hall crying alongside a teacher of some sort who was trying to coax her to "just take five steps and we'll be there. Come on. Take five big steps with me." This girl was NOT budging. I tried not to stare as I walked by but I was fascinated.

But I also saw lots of Moms and Dads who were holding hands with their kids, reassuring them, pointing the way, asking lots of questions. "See that little girl over there? Do you want to sit by her? Are you sure you want to sit here by yourself?" So, yeah . . . I was in this category. I know it well.

Turns out, Audrey was very brave. I totally underestimated her. She can turn on the shy factor so much sometimes that I just come to expect it in these situations. I didn't need to yesterday. She was fine. Nervous . . . but fine. She was braced and ready.

She has a beautiful and sweet teacher named Ms. Miller. She seems very nice. She was wearing a pink sweater over her sundress. Audrey liked that.

I hung around awhile for breakfast and a parent orientation (the kids were entertained by a magician during the orientation) and then we all went to the classroom together. We said our goodbyes and I was literally the last parent to leave the room. [That's when I witnessed the scene described above in the hallway] . I waved goodbye to Audrey one last time. Is she going to cry? It looks like she's going to cry. I told myself.

I left work an hour early yesterday so I could "rescue" Audrey from what I expected to be a day of torture for her. I came bounding into the rec room where the aftercare program is held, ready to save the day for Audrey. She saw me and burst into tears.

Oh my. The day must have been more than she could bear and seeing me must have made her break down. I gave her a big hug and asked her what was wrong.

"I don't want to leave!" was the response I got.

Oh. Not what I expected! I guess first grade is pretty cool after all.

No comments: